[Jacob-list] Primitive Characteristics

Jim Spahr spahrfarm at dragonbbs.com
Tue Jan 8 13:26:00 EST 2002

I think Juliet has summed up some important primitive traits very nicely.  I have always been amazed by the tendency of our Jacobs to stay in family groups.  We never wean our lambs as we are not fattening them for market.  We separate ram lambs in late Aug. or Sept. but ewes stay with their mothers.  Even when they have lambs of their own, they are seen staying close by their mother and her new lamb(s).
There is one amendment that I would like to make pertaining to fleece character, other than the one Edie already pointed out about little grease in Jacob fleece.  The other is double-coatedness.  This is a disqualifying trait for registration here.  Fleeces should be open and springy, demi-luster, staple length 3" - 7", and weigh between 3 and 6 lbs.  After skirting, our fleeces usually do not weigh more than 3 lbs., but with the lower grease, do not lose much weight in washing.  When we first purchased our Jacob sheep about 14 yrs. ago, their fleeces were like those of the down breeds - springy without crimpyness.  In recent years I have noticed pronounced crimp in some Jacob fleeces, no doubt through selection.  Some of ours have a bit of crimp, but I would still like to retain the down-type fleeces that I remember on our original sheep.

                                                          Mary Spahr