[Jacob-list] Primitive or not?

MarmontJacobs at aol.com MarmontJacobs at aol.com
Sun Jan 6 11:43:34 EST 2002

From: glb123 at optonline.net

>To speculate that "size, strength, and looks are the criteria for natural
selection" is to epitomize the worst of anthropocentric views on the rest of
the animal kingdom. We are not, a race of giants nor do we have 7 stone
flies and cockroaches to contend with (except in certain parts of SE
Asia...). Seriously though, the style of breed stewardship that Gordon and
David Linicome advocate is one of breed conservancy not human-imposed
"evolution" toward a bigger, better more beautiful Jacob. And whose criteria
of "better" and beautiful shall we chose?

Respectfully, if you must quote then please be accurate:
"as size, strength, and looks are, dare I say, the usual criteria for
*natural* selection "- this *is* broadly true, and joking aside is how things
are, obviously within the bounds of the genetically possible.  Also,you would
have gleaned the impossibility of avoiding human-imposed evolution as the
animals we put together will have to breed together. So you use your own
criteria which are *personal* and not necessarily *better*- so the criteria
are as I said, your own. There is room for all sorts and sizes in this world
thank goodness.

>Gordon and I together and independently have sought for the last 3 or so
years to find remnant flocks of the old Park Sheep Jacobs that prevailed in
the UK before the human induced "evolution" of the mid to late 20th century
that created the big and beautiful black and white spotted polycerates
referred to as Jacob Sheep today in the UK. Any student of the history of
Jacobs is aware of the dramatic changes to the breed, presumably a result of
the crossing with such breeds as Horned Dorsets during and prior to the
1970's, that resulted in the modern Jacob so prevalent in today's UK Show
Circuit.

Throughout the history of livestock breeding, crossing has been used, but
breeders of registered Jacobs have heard the "touch of the old (Dorset) tar
brush" joke too often - many lines can be traced back pure for 30 years,
others for longer. Incidentally, I have only become embroiled in this as I am
the only UK member to contribute here and I have never criticised Gordon's
aims, merely to question whether that is what the average UK smallholder
wants.

>At this point you are indeed "blessed with a good sized gene pool"
of black and white spotted polycerate sheep. And, they are indeed
magnificent animals in their own right but they are not the Jacob sheep of
old.

I believe we have also evolved - are you saying that is a bad thing too??!

>So, Gordon need not "debate" the obvious with the JSS or any other group of
breeders. No one is asking the Breeders of Modern UK Jacobs to undo what
they have done.  It is, rather, a simple plea to ask breeders and other
interested folk to remember the small elegant and sturdy breed of sheep from
which the modern Jacob in the UK is derived; The Ancient and Venerable Jacob
that needed little husbandry and required scant attention from the Vet and
certainly did not rely on surgical intervention for birthing.

Once again you have misread my piece - the modern Jacob also requires scant
attention from the vet - the reference being to dogs, and the birthing
problems referred clearly to cattle (Belgian Blue to be exact).

>The goal is not to register these animals in the JSS. But, instead, to
recognize the heritage of the JSS Jacob and to conserve the quite distinct
gene pool of the Park Sheep Jacob. I would further suggest that the depth of
"interest" far exceeds the depth of "knowledge" within the JSS if everyone
shares your views.

I wasn't aware I had expressed any views on the sheep themselves, merely on
the artificiality of any grouping of sheep and thus theinability to decide
their *own* genetic future rather than one imposed on them by their keepers.
I enjoy my sheep as individuals, am interested in discussing some of the
myths which have been perpetuated etc., hence my correspondence with certain
individual members which is highly enjoyable. I have never implied criticism
of ANY US sheep, let alone of the knowledge or otherwise of the membership!!!

>Rather than asking Gordon to go through the tedium of
educating the readership of the JSS, I suggest that all members thoroughly
read David Kinsman's book " The Black Sheep of Windemere". There will be a
quiz posted next week....

Yes Gordon, I have been reading these posts. Carry on...and hope to see you
and Julie later this year.

Cordially,
George Benedict

BTW your sheep (Gordon) as best I can tell are well within the size
distribution curve of American Jacobs as are some of the other "Park Flocks"
we visited. The beautiful beasts at the Yorkshire Show and at other shows
visited are indeed magnificent. I was quite taken by them visually. But
alas, they are not the Ancient Jacob you and I seek. Do you think its the
Dorset influence?...nudge nudge.