[Jacob-list] primitive/not

dave & katrina oberlef at desupernet.net
Sun Jan 6 08:38:24 EST 2002

This might be a fun idea and certainly more appropriate for the list, I would think. The idea of a continuum probably would make the discussion easier.  At the same time, I am wondering if what makes this discussion so complicated is that, like so many Jacob issues, primitive/improved may be difficult to tell only from pictures...or is it?

To me, behavior (ie standing on back feet, certain more dog-like behaviors, birthing and mothering, the happy 4-legged lamb hop in adults, amazing 4 ft+ leaps straight in the air) has a lot to do with what attracts me to so-called primitive animals.  That is not to say the more so-called improved Jacobs are not appreciated in our flock. The ones we have (if they should indeed be labeled improved) are great, interesting animals, they just offer something a little different (lack of freckling and generally calm personalities??) and are beautiful in their own right.  I guess what I would be interested in knowing is how many of those behavior are still seen in the UK flocks?  In the last writer's post, it sounded like the UK sheep have retained some of these characteristics at least in mothering and birthing.  Would be interesting to hear more about the UK sheep.
Katrina Lefever, Chicory Lane,
Hanover, PA
http://wwwfac.wmdc.edu/HTMLpages/Graduate/TI/pages/lefever/chicory.htm