[Jacob-list] primitive/not

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Sat Jan 5 20:01:03 EST 2002

Dear Gordon,

Thanks for your comments.  I believe you are correct in stating that breed standards limit gene pool.  On the other hand, that's what they are meant to do: to get rid of jacob-looking sheep that really aren't jacobs at all.  Of course, if the entire breed standard is based on aesthetics, that can also be problematic.  If behavioural traits, weight, fleece, and other things are included, and are based not on what people like, but on a general standard which encompasses the jacobs of our experience and eliminates the jacoby non-jacobs, perhaps it can be helpful.  I think perhaps that part of the problem is an all or nothing mentality, which I see a lot of in many facets of life.  Moderation might be a word which is helpful, though I often say to my husband "There is a fine line between moderation and mediocrity." So, even a moderate stance, with rules and allowances for exceptions and checks and balances of several inspectors and an appeals process, and progeny testing is only an approximation of trying to limit jacobs to being jacobs and not exclude jacobs from being jacobs.  What I find impossible is implacable "opinions" which come off as God's law or Nature's law, high horses, and paranoia, which often work counter to a productive discussion of jacob preservation.  Good luck with your search.  People do seem to import semen from various sheep breeds here, so perhaps it can happen in the other direction...

Katrina, I think it might be fun to compile a group of 20 photos, and put a list survey out, where people simply identify each one as primitive or improved, or perhaps on a continuum from there to here, and why.  Then results might be posted to the list and we all might learn something.  ACtually, being computer illiterate, I have no idea if this is possible, but if it is, could someone out there who understands these machines do that?  Many of us might be willing to send photos to that person, to compile into one survey/email, whatever.  Maybe it would work best at a website?  don't know.  Whatever...Betty