[Jacob-list] Re: Snow

Grose NLGrose at Yadtel.net
Thu Jan 3 19:47:56 EST 2002

I guess I should have splurged on the next day delivery. It finally warmed up enough to snow after bouncing between 12 and 36 degrees for a week. Our big weather makers are called I-85 storms because they ball up down in the Gulf and follow 85 from Atlanta to Washington. If they go a little off the coast they wind up being your Northeasters. A little west of us and we have ice storms.
I took the kids to Grandma's and Louise to work this morning...back to the house for one more cup of coffee...then out to the barn to feed. Six hours of me, the cows, the sheep, a wet tractor seat, and a big pocketful of Christmas candy. [One storm a couple of years ago I went all day on a thermos of coffee and a pound of chocolate drops.] But I'm in a little early tonight. New Years Day, my brother and I did all the work. We learned the hard way not to give the help off New Years Eve and expect them to show up the next day. We employ El Salvadorans. They don't want off that much for Christmas, preferring New Years. We help them organize the work to get off early. Our neighbor who raises pigs does a booming business in feeder pig sized porkers for BBQ on the two days before New Years.
 Several years ago, a friend of ours that had never eaten lamb before came by and bought a lamb to cook for his fraternity buddies that he has over each year for New Years Day. It was such a big hit that now, they Bar-B-Que a pig, a deer, and a lamb each year.
Louise says that I should post this to the whole list, the weather being such a hot topic and all.

Neal
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Betty Berlenbach
  To: Grose
  Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2002 2:52 PM
  Subject: Snow

  HI, Neal,

  I have been so done in I can't remember if I thanked you for my Christmas blooms or not--they arrived frozen in a mass, melted to translucent brilliant color, and I enjoyed them, even frozen and wilted.  Thank you.

  So, now I hear you're buried under snow?  It's spitting here, but that's it.  Have fun.