[Jacob-list] wethering lambs, etc.

Mary Spahr spahrfarm at dragonbbs.com
Tue Feb 26 12:02:25 EST 2002

Thanks so much for all the input about bottled lambs, wethering, etc.  I am just going to keep doing it like we have been for 14 years - leave nature alone and keep little lambs with their mothers.  Bottle babies are a different story and we always seek homes for them.  As one breeder pointed out, there are special circumstances where it is advisable to take a lamb from its mother, such as triplets where one is falling behind or a ewe does not have enough milk, etc.
But I feel that the best for the lamb and mother is to forget about the pet market and those who want cute little lambs to hold on their laps (except bottle lambs).  I believe that lambs raised with ewes are bigger and healthier.  The lady who inquired about bottled wethers has planned a trip to a large goat dairy not far from us to pick up a load of wethered kids.  It seems they just give them away.  She has also just acquired a Lincoln lamb on the bottle that her German Shepherd and Bernese Mt. dog "love" to lick in the face.  They are all in the house together, so hope they don't go from "licking to chewing" when her back is turned!
We always leave enough tail to prevent prolapsing.  It is important to dock here in Oh. because of flies in the summer.  Flystrike is the grossest thing I have ever observed!  We use a tool that cost around $60.  I have always thought it less stressful than banding because it hurts for just a second and there is no chance of infection.  There is very little bleeding, especially when the weather is cool.  It's over and done with and no flies or infection to worry about.
I think we will keep leaving lambs intact since we have too many Jacobs to keep any just for fleeces or pets.  Seems there are several schools of thought on the proper time to wether.
Mary Spahr