[Jacob-list] wethering lambs

Kathryn Shirley humbug7 at worldnet.att.net
Mon Feb 25 18:56:14 EST 2002

I would never deliberately make a bottle baby.  I feel that it is bad
for the lamb, bad for the mother and certainly wouldn't say much about
my ethics.

When I did wether, I wethered within 3-5 days of birth.  After that, I
felt it was too stressful.  Now I just leave everyone as rams.  If they
don't sell as breeders, the ethnic market or the sales get them.

I also do no wean my lambs.  They stay with their mom and their mom
weans them.  I will occasionally see a four month old run to their mom
for a drink when stressed.  I feel that leaving the lambs with the ewes
to naturally wean saves where and tear on me, the lambs, their moms, and
the equipment.  When selling young lambs, I try to wait until they are
at least ten weeks old.

Kate Shirley, Humbug Farm