[Jacob-list] INbred sheep.

Mary Hansson mhansson1 at triad.rr.com
Sat Dec 28 09:27:14 EST 2002

The management style on the MD (and presumably NY) home turf was
shearing, vaccination, and worming all at the same time---which would
have been sometime in May or early June.

Worm load would be less in the spring than later in the year.  It might
be that the move time could account for the greater problems----SEE
ROYAL>>>>>I told you you needed some more sheep this fall!!!  We could
have had a "control" group this fall like we did in the spring :o)).  Of
course, there was only 1 ewe without the proper parts in my group this
fall, so we would have had to fight over her :o)).

Just in case anybody thinks Royal is getting the short end of the stick,
when I was raising angora bunnies, I bred one poor "buck" to numerous
does without a lick of success for 2-3 months.  It wasn't until I was in
the midst of shearing HIM that I realized HE had some missing parts.
Once I put HIM in with a buck, HE delivered babies without a problem a
month later.  Funny how that worked.

Mary Ellen Hansson, ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Those horny, fuzzy critters
Shop:  Knitting, crochet, spinning supplies
www.iseespots.com (336) 854-6209