[Jacob-list] Inbreeding--linebreeding--whatever you call it

Hobsickle at aol.com Hobsickle at aol.com
Sat Dec 28 08:21:34 EST 2002

No breeding can produce an animal which is more adapted to its specific
environment than any other animal unless the environment itself is
influencing the selection of parent individuals (remember "natural selection"
in H.S. Biology?), or unless the shepherd is selecting parent individuals
based on their ability to survive/thrive in their specific environment.
Since we do our best (I hope we all do) to ensure the survival of all of our
lambs it is hard to image natural selection working here.  And, unless
someone has an extreme and unique environmental factor at play, most (all?)
of us breed for traits other than 'thriveability'.  The only circumstance in
which inbreeding could play a role in adaptations to a specific environment
is if the flock is totally left to "fend for itself" with rams and ewes being
left together over several generations and "letting nature take its course"
in lambing, etc.

Inbreeding does tend to produce "pure strains" for random traits over time.
Therefore any link to any environment would be pure happenstance.

Perhaps a sheep could develop an immunity, resistance, or tolerance to the
strains of parasites of diseases in its environment, but this would be the
result of exposure, not breeding.

-Dan