[Jacob-list] Experience with arthritic or swollen joints

Mary Hansson mhansson1 at triad.rr.com
Sat Dec 21 14:32:16 EST 2002

Hi,

The subject pretty well states the question...I am looking for
experience and knowledge base for dealing with an elderly animal with
swollen and apparently painful joints.

One of my older sheep seems to have days with a generalized "gingerness"
in walking on one hind leg.  I have examined the foot, between the
hooves, and all the way up to really find nothing other than a knee
joint that is larger than it's counterpart on the other leg.  Pain seems
to vary, and this animal does more standing with back legs crossed and
dependence on the other rear leg in the evening than in the morning
(seems to cross feet for balance with the other foot in relative center
of body).  I have been watching this for close to 2 months now, and the
problem is not going away.  It is only in the past week or so that I
have been able to detect a difference in the size of the knee joint
area...prior to that, there were no clues as to what the problem was.
This animal does not flinch at any point when I handle this leg all the
way up either.

Mary Ellen Hansson, ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Those horny, fuzzy critters
Shop:  Knitting, crochet, spinning supplies
www.iseespots.com (336) 854-6209