[Jacob-list] sheep and snow

Mary Hansson mhansson1 at triad.rr.com
Thu Dec 12 21:32:52 EST 2002

Hi all,

Glad to be back on line......finally.  A week is a long time----and
hundreds of e-mails later........

We lacked power only from Thursday 5:30 am to Sunday 3:30 or so am.
Thanks to Hurricane Fran a few years back, we HAD a generator ready to
keep the freezers safe and some semblance of heat in the house.  Our
next-door neighbor got her power back late yesterday afternoon and quite
a number of people are still lacking power around the vicinity.  This
storm was by far and wide the worst I have seen---hurricane or ice
storm.  This is the first time we have had fence-line damage of any
significance, and once again----my love of the 16 foot cattle panel is
emphasized!  We had some crushed to unusable and the panel right beside
did not need any changing out or touching.....just replace the empty
section and continue with fence up and working.

We had 2 domes crushed---one with ice weight by about 4:30 Thursday
morning, but that dome was one that had been crushed under a foot of wet
snow a few years back and was much weaker.  The other dome that came
down had a tree top helping it down.  That one is probably not
repairable this time other than to appear as a very smooshed living area
for the little ram lambs.

It is something to hear and watch tree tops come down at the rate of 1
every 30-60 seconds all around you........and with freezing rain coming
down all the while.  Add in transformers blowing lighting up the sky in
all directions........

As to the snow and chlorine in water............My sheep have always
preferred puddles to fresh tubs of water.  The dogs prefer it that
way.....cats prefer it that way.....makes me wonder if they know
something we humans don't.  And by the way............we have never
lived with city water in this country, so the sheep have never tasted
that unless it was at somebody else's farm.

Mary Ellen Hansson, ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Those horny, fuzzy critters
Shop:  Knitting, crochet, spinning supplies
www.iseespots.com (336) 854-6209