[Jacob-list] shetland x jacob crosses

Melody critterland at bendcable.com
Fri Aug 30 12:22:00 EDT 2002

I have had the opposite, shetland ewe in a Jacob flock, and so bred to the
Jacob ram. The ewe was a dark brown (?moorit?  not sure about Shetland
colors). Lambs  always came out solid black with a line of white markings
around their faces, reminded me of a monkey's face.  One exception, one
little guy came out salt-and-pepper grey with black spots and the white
marking arund the face--but by the time he had grown, he had turned all
black. A neighbor bred some Jacob ewes to a Shetland ram, got all black
lambs also.  Body  type in the lambs is more Shetland than Jacob, and the
ewes were polled, with one exception. This year's ewe lamb has horns almost
as big as her twin brother did before he was sold.  There was some guard
hair on the lambs, but not very much.  The ewe from this year's breeding
seems to have a bit better wool than previous offspring, so I am going to
keep her at least until shearing to see just what the wool is like.
Previous crosses were sold as lambs, so not sure what adult wool would be
like.
Melody at CritterLand
Redmond OR

From: "Elaina Kenyon" <avillionfarm at earthlink.net>>