[Jacob-list] Grass Seed

Dave & Katrina oberlef at supernet.com
Sat Aug 24 12:28:44 EDT 2002

Interesting.  I asked Dave the scoop on the grasses he seeded... the back
pasture is mostly perennial Rye grass, grows in large clumps and has
provided the largest amount of foilage even thru the drought...this is the
one I think does well when eaten down hard in the fall. It can get very
tall. We seeded a orchard grass/alfafa pasture beside the house.  This was
a very compacted and deleted area, but the alfafa is changing that.  The
drought hardly affects alfafa since the roots are so long. And the alfafa
provives nitrogen for the orchard grass so that did pretty well also. We
made hay off of it twice this year and might be able to get another small
cutting off of it.

The pasture I talked about with the swath of tall grasses was Perennial rye
the other section of that pasture is a cheap commercial mix. Didn't do well
at all.  ..and none of the grasses were the Barenburg seeds.  I will have
to check with him about whether or not he used endophyte free fescue, since
I know fescue was in some of the mixes.  We are learning a lot about
grasses, but wish I knew more!  We over grazed some of them and might do
some overseeding next spring.  Maybe we should try the Barenburg seeds.
Katrina