[Jacob-list] quilting/feed/winter

Kris Sudduth sudduth at adelphia.net
Fri Aug 23 22:27:54 EDT 2002

thanks to everyone with the answers about the quilting and hoof/horn
color....I have seen the quilting I believe...and wondered why it did
that..figured it was me not seeing things right!!..but now I know better.

ok...now that I have ya'll on a roll !!!.....how about talking a bit of
feeding practices during the winter months...do ya'll grain/hay...or just
hay...or??......now coming from Tx...we had pastures a bit longer then you
do here..if they dont burn up in the summer that is!....plus the type of
sheep I had (corrie's/cvm/linc/finn/cheviot and X's) were perhaps babied to
much by me...which that just me..yes..I'm a sucker!!...but with the
jacobs...apparently they are more hardy.....plus I have yet to see your
winters up here in Vermont (last winter was mild here)..so need to know what
to expect with the snow...lack of moving around....not getting too
fat...that type of thing.
A friend of mine was telling me tonight that her Romneys were really lazy
last winter...they had plenty of dry pasture area to move around in and get
some excercise (plus a mild winter)..but they didn't use up even half of the
lot they made for them....I know how important excercise is for pg ewe's.
It should be interesting this winter for me to watch and learn the sheep and
how they contend with the snow covered ground.  :-)

                    ~~Kris~~
                 Burlington, Vt
         sudduth at adelphia.net
www.cloudnineacres.homestead.com