[Jacob-list] Greetings, folks!

Thomas Simmons creaganlios at prexar.com
Mon Aug 12 17:32:01 EDT 2002

MessageHello!

Several of you have wondered if i had fallen off the face of the earth, if I
still had Jacobs, etc., so for those of you who are interested, here goes:

Due to the extraordinary response from folks reading the NEHBC website, I
was able to sell 23 of 26 Jacobs to six new or "semi-new-to-Jacobs" folks in
the New England area before I left in June.  I'm pleased about that: where
there was once one (very crowded) flock, there are now a bunch scattered
about. For a rare breed, this is a good thing. (FYI, we spent the summer in
Nebraska and South Dakota, near the Pine Ridge Reservation.  WHAT a greta
summer we had!)

I had to cancel my trip to Butter Island,Maine in the chaos, but might
actually make it up there in the next month or so.  I'll keep ya' posted.

I have kept a Barbados and her two lambs (for meat), and three Jacobs:  A
Northcote ewe (Anne-Shirley) and her daughter (Creaganlios Iona) , and an
unrelated young ram out of Killorglin stock (Creaganlios Ignatius) who just
*happens* to have BLUE eyesand 4 striped horns (my *dream* breeding ram!).
We have decided to go "broad" instead of "deep:" instead of breeding LOTS of
sheep, we will keep a SMALL flock (pasture is recovered and remaining sheep
are currently very happy), and begin a SMALL chicken flock again, and a
SMALL meat-rabbit operation etc.  SMALL as in, enough for us, but no
over-production or mass sales or shows.

However, I am strongly considering buying other's raw wool (especially from
small flock holders) and processing roving & yarn,since we seemed to THAT
well (roving never destroys pasture or knocks down fences, and the neighbors
never complained that our yarn was eating their blueberries :-) !!!  LOL!

So, anyway, its good to be back :-)

thom