[Jacob-list] jaw swelling

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Mon Aug 12 08:42:48 EDT 2002

In a message dated 8/11/02 9:33:24 PM Central Daylight Time,
oberlef at supernet.com writes:

> We have ram here with swelling under his jaw.  Could only think of bottlejaw
> or a bee sting as possiblities even though his poop is normal and he looks
> healthy otherwise.  He is eating and drinking.  We caught him and gave him
> Safeguard few days ago, but the swelling is still there, although it has
> changed and is only on one side...
> Does this sound like bottle jaw and can we give him another dose of
> Safeguard on top of the first one??
> Any advice would be appreciated!

The symptoms sound like "bottle jaw": swelling under the jaw, gums will
probably show anemia, appetite and stool will be "normal" (may not be a lot
of diarhea).  You may want to have a stool sample check to confirm the
parasite; sounds like it could be haemonchus contortus.  Check the label or
with the vet on redosing with Safeguard.  I think (don't know for sure) that
the only wormer that has a residual effect is Ivomec.  The others may only
have a 24-48 hour effect and may be able to be used with more frequent
"follow-up" doses.

If the culprit is haemonchus contortus (good appetite and normal looking
stool) and you may want to consider using a different wormer and/or larger
dosage to be sure you avoid parasite resistance.  Haemonchus is a "survivor"
type.

Fred Horak