[Jacob-list] Scurs and Horns

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Sun Aug 11 16:13:47 EDT 2002

In a message dated 8/8/02 11:39:50 AM Central Daylight Time, SharHill at aol.com
writes:

> I have a question about scurs.  I have a yearling 4 horn ewe who broke off
> all 4 horns  when she was a few months old.  The top 2 grew back nicely and
>
> are quite solidly attached, though a bit funny looking with the blunt tips.
>
> However, the laterals grew back as little nubs that move around in the
> skin,
> as if they are not really attached to the skull.  Those are scurs, right?
> (This is my first experience with this and have never seen them before.)

"The EWE broke 4 HORNS".  First, the diminutive nature of the ewe horn should
be considered; smaller, perhaps more fragile the first year.  Second, as
mentioned in Neal Grose's post, environment may have an effect. These and
other factors may make it more susceptible to breaking than a ram's horns.
The horn may have broken all or substantially all of the horn core at the
skull.  The REGROWTH of the broken horn may result in a full horn with a
core, a blunt horn or scur-like structure with a core, a keratin structure
that does not have a core.

If the ewe was a four horn before breaking all four horns it is still a four
horn. The phenotype (the regrowth of the broken horn that might look like a
scur) does not change its genotype (its assumed true "horned" genetic
identity).  As noted in Gordon Johnston's  post ... "scurs are not broken
horns".  The determination of phenotype and genotype is what is present and
develops from birth.

> I was just wondering about the genetics of it.   I will admit right now
> that
> I don't know much about genetics,  so forgive any "dumb" questions or
> statements I might make.

The following is known: the Horn locus is on Chromosome 10.  There is
compelling evidence that the presence of horns is controlled by a single
autosomal locus Ho.  This gene can have three forms or alleles: (1) Ho+ which
produces horns in rams and ewes, (2) Hohl which produces horns in rams and
"hornless" ewes, and (3) HoP which is the polled form.

The "hornless" allele is sex limited (ewes) and interacts with the Ho+ allele
to produce three conditions: aberrant horns, short scurs and long scurs.  A
Horn is different than aberrant horns, long scur and short scur.  A horn has
a core and substance, aberant horns, long scur and short scur are weakly
"anchored"  to the skull often by a "dimple".  The aberrant horn is very weak
and very small diameter core and the core does not run the length of the
horn.  The long scur is "attached" by a "dimple" to the skull and has a
"nubby" appearance.   The short scur is characterized by its short length
(about an inch or less and may have a "plasticized appearance).

The presence of MULTIPLE HORNS (more than two) is another phenotype and it is
a working hypothesis that is subject to another locus HNM and an incomplete
dominant.  HNM would seem to have epistatic effects, e.g., SUED.

> The mother is a 2 horned ewe with very nice solid horns.  The father is a 4
> horned ram, also with very solid horns.  I assume there is a gene that
> causes
> scurs to appear?  Do both parents have to have it for the scurs to show up
> in
> the offspring?  If they both have the gene, how great is the likelihood
> that
> scurs would show up?  I would be interested to hear how this works.

The literature says to consider the hornless allele as the expression of
scurs and aberrant horns.  The literature is silent as to the expression of
the hornless allele in multiple horned breeds.  It is my opinion that they
might work in a similar manner, i.e., HNM interacting with Hohl.

> I was also wondering if anyone keeps track of, or knows how widespread the
> defect is in the breed.  Also, do scurs ever occur on 2 horned animals, and
>
> do they ever show up on the top horns of 4 horned sheep?  Do they occur
> more
> frequently in ewes or rams or does anyone even know?

The prevalence of the "hornless" allele will probably have to wait until the
multiple horn genotype is understood.  All parents and their lambs must be
accounted for to build any Medelian ratio for heritability.  However,
collectively we must be able to identify a horn and correctly count horns.
Counting horns is not easy in some cases, particularly immature Jacobs.

The basic genetics of horns suggests that the ewe is the prime candidate for
observing the expression of the "hornless" allele (the "hornless" allele is
limited to ewe expression).  By definition, the two horn ram carrying the
"hornless" allele will have horns .. think of the ram as a "carrier" of the
hornless allele.  Do scurs occur on the progeny of two-horn breedings? Yes,
and the parent(s) and progeny would, by definition, not be Jacobs but a
cross-bred.  (The definition of the Jacob says "horned or polycerate in both
sexes").

Does the "hornless" allele appear on four horn Jacobs?  Yes, but the
expression seems to be that of true top horns and possible lateral aberant
horns or scurs on ewes.  This seems to support the case for a HNM locus and,
perhaps like Ho, subject to influence the Hohl allele. If the ram reported by
Mary Ellen Hansson has lateral scurs ( from birth - not traumatized horns)
this would be interesting.

Scurs are not the funny pencil thin, floppy "growths" near horns.  I think we
must keep in mind the keratinous material that seems to produce growths that
are neither horns nor aberant horns ... these sometimes just fall off by
themselves. Here I think it is important to keep the definition of a "horn"
close at hand; a core rooted to the skull.

> The sire of this scurred ewe also produced several lambs with split eyelids.
>
> Is this in any way connected to the scur issue?

Split upper eyelid defect seems to be directly related to the multiple horn
condition rather than scurs per se.  It is observed as a notch in the eyelid
(palpebrae), the upper skin (tarsal plate) is malformed and the lash (ciliary
portion) may extend to the interior surface of the eyelid membrane (tarsus).
It often seems to be associated with a noticeable notch in the occipital
orbit of the skull (a notch in the occipital orbit is not itself SUED ...
many species and breeds have notched orbits).   SUED is congenital, it is
inherited, probably as a recessive.  It is present in other polycerate (more
than two horns) breeds.

There are several articles on horns and horn genetics.  Authors include,
Montgomery, Dolling, Alderson, Partridge.  Perhaps there will be more
information on horn inheritance this coming Spring following the outcome of
some "controlled" breedings.

Meantime, reviewing the heritibility and pedigrees of one's flock may offer
some insight but be sure to include all parents and lambs ...

Fred Horak