[Jacob-list] scurs

Dave & Katrina oberlef at supernet.com
Thu Aug 8 13:51:10 EDT 2002

We also have little experience with this, so let me add a few questions...
what about a similar situation where the uppers grew back and the lowers
are firmly attached but only about an inch or two long?  Are they still
called scurs or are they just weak horns?  I would think that both 2 horn
ewes and 4 horn rams would mask the scurring traits, right?

We also noticed this year that several of our widely spaced two horn ram
lambs had a long, thin piece horn material growing under the main horns.
This broke off as the ram matured.  What would you call these guys?

The ram lamb we bought from the Twigg flock (very inbred fieldwoods) has
nicely spaced 4 horns with two scurs (?) or tiny horn buds growing in
between on the right side.  They have popped off twice in the short time he
has been here. Any guess what will happen to him as an adult?  I will try
to post a picture later if I find the time.

And one last situation, one of our ewes, Achta has four pretty horns
...lately, her breeder told me that she was born with an extra set in
between that was pushed out later...I see no sign of them on her now.

So are these extra horns buds different than the lower horn scurs that
people talk about?
Katrina Lefever, Chicory Lane Farm