[Jacob-list] docking tails

Grose NLGrose at Yadtel.net
Fri Apr 26 19:04:03 EDT 2002

Several years ago, we brought Jacobs to SAFF and showed them. Glen Eidman was the judge, and came over to where I had carried a particularly bouncy ewe lamb and asked me with some disdain why I had not docked said lamb's tail. I replied [while hanging onto the 20 pound jack-in-the-box]: "Because...I...couldn't...catch...her." He was still laughing as he went to the microphone and gave the reasons on placing the class. Told everyone "he said he couldn't catch her".
The biggest reason we have seen to dock is that it is easier to shear around the tail. On the balance though, I tend to dock, leaving enough tail to cover the vulva.

Neal Grose