[Jacob-list] Occypital condylar dysplasia

Pbs123 at aol.com Pbs123 at aol.com
Sun Apr 21 12:03:22 EDT 2002

In a message dated 4/20/02 12:59:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
lambfarm at sover.net writes:

> I've never seen it here, but it may explain a lamb or two on other jacob
> farms I know.  In both cases the shepherds use line breeding a lot.  Is
> there a link, in your opinion?  Have you already expressed an opinion on
> this and I missed it?  These two flocks are totally unrelated, in both male
> and female lines, as far as I can discern.

Sorry to be tardy getting back to you. I haven't been able to get to the
computer until just now to answer your question. I don't think anyone knows
it's ultimate source for certain, although I think inbreeding is the most
likely source. I know that when skeletal abnormalities are present in extinct
populations of animals, paleontologists invariably attribute them to
inbreeding. It is however possible that OCD is part of the group of strange
skull attributes that go along with multiple horns. Either way, I would guess
that if the trait is present to any degree in a flock, line breeding would
obviously perpetuate it.

Peter S