[Jacob-list] RAM lamb problem

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Fri Apr 19 14:32:47 EDT 2002

I didn't see any post linking the defect to OCD.  The ewe lamb is normal. Ram
lamb has been crooked since birth.

Congenital defects should be observed closely.  First look for trauma, then
environment, then an inherited defect.  This may have nothing to do with
inbreeding or OCD.  It may be a deformed spine from birth ... the position in
the womb.

Spinal compression from the lumbar back would effect locomotion.  The mother
ewe, may have "pawed" the ram lamb and damaged its spine, pelvis, or leg.

If you want to explore the defect further: Have an Xray done of the spine and
pelvis to determine if it is a spinal injury or deformity.  The OCD could
also be exposed by Xray but necropsy may be more useful.  Absent spinal
trauma or deformity and no OCD ... consider other skeletal/muscular diseases
... and we know these are present in Jacobs as well ... scoliosis?

Fred Horak