[Jacob-list] mothering

Debbie Bennett dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 19 10:43:40 EDT 2002

I just have to share this story of Jacob mothering instincts... I have a
few Churros and one of them had twins this year and rejected the smaller
of the two (this is becoming a habit for this particular ewe). So, I
started bottle feeding the Churro ewe lamb and named her Brenna. Also,
my ewes free-range a hilly, wooded landscape, with coyote, bob-cat, fox,
coons and bears, oh-my.
  Wilma (Jacob ewe), lost her five day old ewe lamb to a predator. She
was devastated and full of milk. I didn't think she would take Brenna
(Brenna being a Churro and 5 weeks old), but I thought I could hold her
down and make her feed Brenna. So, I grabbed Wilma twice a day and made
her feed Brenna for several days. Then Wilma made me a deal; if I would
stand there and keep the other ewes out of her food, she would willingly
feed Brenna. This went on for a week or so. Then Wilma decided she
should just take over as Brenna's dam and Brenna should follow her. By
this time, Brenna was only following me, she recognizes my voice and
comes when I call. So, now after I feed all the sheep, I have to sneak
out of the barn so that Brenna stays with Wilma. If Brenna doesn't leave
the barn with Wilma to go out and graze, Wilma comes to the house
looking for her (and looking at me accusingly; I must know where Brenna
is and its all my fault that Brenna doesn't come when Wilma calls) and
then I call Brenna and have to push her toward Wilma or walk with them
for a few minutes until Brenna gets the idea she's grazing with Wilma
and I can slip away. I'm sure Brenna is confused about who her mom is.
I'm also very proud of Wilma's mothering. Its funny to see a Jacob ewe
with a Churro lamb. And Wilma is for sale. You can see her on our
website at www.feralfibre.com

Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre Farm
Oakland, Oregon