[Jacob-list] Occypital condylar dysplasia

Pbs123 at aol.com Pbs123 at aol.com
Fri Apr 19 09:01:20 EDT 2002

In a message dated 4/19/02 6:28:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
iseespots at prodigy.net writes:

> Does anybody know if this disease is congenital or genetically transmitted?

       Definitely inherited, but the source is debatable, in my opinion. You
always want to think of inbreeding, but with jacobs it could be part of the
spectrum of problems associated with polyceratism, such as SUED, and the
notches on the boney orbit. When OCD is present, usually the entire rear of
the skull is somewhat malformed as well.
       The very first time I examined a jacob head post mortem I noticed that
the hole in the rear of the skull through which the spinal cord exits (the
foramen magnum), was disproportionately small and misshapen. With time I've
noticed that almost every mature male jacob has a relatively small foramen
magnum, some astonishingly so, to the point that it must have caused motor
problems (ataxia) in life. Other breeds of sheep, on the whole, have larger
foramen magnums. And white-tailed deer,  ruminants of similar size, have
absolutely huge openings in comparison.
       Over time I noticed that severely malformed "atlanto-occipital" joints
were surprisingly  pervasive in jacob rams, but I also discovered that
manifestations in living rams where almost nil. Almost all breeders whose
sheep showed moderate-severe OCD had no recollection of any problems when
asked. Some of the rams had joints so malformed that the head must have
listed to one side (torticollis) but if so it went unnoticed.
It was later that Fred Horak sent me a copy of an article that was apparently
written by vets that had observed and named OCD when doing a necropsy on
sheep that exhibited symptoms like those detailed in the post to the list.
The point is, from what I've seen the dysplasia in this instance would have
to be dramatically severe and thus easily observed in a necropsy.

Peter S