[Jacob-list] The hazards of bottle raising lambs and working at the same time...........

Mary E Hansson iseespots at prodigy.net
Tue Apr 16 17:43:17 EDT 2002

I have one of those dreaded bottle babies.  Her actual name is "Patty",
but for this scenario, I will call her "Lammie".  For those of you who
don't know my imaginary husband (many friends have never seen him or
talked to him on the phone in years---hence the "imaginary"...he is
truly real), his name is "Per".  One of my buddies calls him "Saint Per"
because of my habit of bringing home critters and THEN mentioning it to
him :o).  OK  Here goes.....
Picture this............ Lammie is about a month old and thinks I am the
giant milk bottle.  She will follow the van when it leaves the driveway.
Per was standing there with lammie trying desperately to go with me
(LOL). I told him to TAKE CARE OF THE LAMB----that means "pick it up and
hang on until I am GONE". He know this and has done so in the past---he
was dressed for this sort of occasion anyway.
Put this also in mind...I am already running about 10 minutes behind
because I forgot the keys in the ignition the night before and we have
spent about 20 minutes searching all over the place for them!
He cheerily waves me off. I put the van in reverse. Per turns around and
walks inside the house----LEAVING SAID LAMMIE UNATTENDED! What do you
think lammie does? Of course.......you have it the first
time..........she runs frantically down the driveway as I am backing out
at a very rapid pace to outdistance her.
This did not seem to satisfy----I peeled off down the gravel road to the
main road. Here comes lammie all the way along behind me to the main
road........... Can't exactly leave her there UNSUPERVISED! Stopped the
van. Got lammie. Picked her up with feet and tail away from me and
proceeded to hang her outside the window as I backed back down the road
to our driveway. Pulled in and LAID ON THE HORN. Here comes Per
wondering why I am back.......................me covered by now in poop
from head to waist................ I got to change my clothes, clean up.
What a way to start the day!

Mary Ellen Hansson
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Those horny, fuzzy critters
Shop:  Knitting, crochet, spinning supplies
www.iseespots.com