[Jacob-list] experience and wisdom needed

virginia ferguson gininurse at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 15 07:40:09 EDT 2002

Dear All,
We have never raised sheep. This weekend I'll pick up
our two ewe yearling and one with her lamb.(2 ewes and
1 lamb.) excitement,excitement! Then my husband said,I
thought we were getting 3 young ewe lambs? I thought a
year old ewe was young. Nope. my husband is very
concerned that the ewes will be too hard to handle.
They will damage our woven wire fence,hurt themselves
and jumb over the fence....never to be found
again...because they will be looking for their herd
and any thing that is familar to them. WHAT IS HE
TALKING ABOUT??? My husband is very protective of me
and I treasure this. What can you folks tell me from
your experience with a new flock. No, we don't have a
barn to keep them in for a short time. Well,we have a
big barn...but it is full with equipment. We have a
small shed that open into 1/8 acre that I thought
would be perfect for them. Hey, I may be right! Ohh, I
have this imperfection that  4 legged critters are my
best friends. It is hard for me to believe that
Jacobs' are too "primitive" to be  friendly.ie. come
when they are called,feed from hand and want touched.
Your turn to respond ............ may be I'm in denile
about  whatever. I sure do want my/our  Jacobs'. How
can something so simple to me turn out to be
complicated?       Gini