[Jacob-list] freckling

Edd Bissell bissell at usit.net
Wed Apr 10 22:28:11 EDT 2002

When I started outin Jacobs they were all from sales - and then when Geoff
Hatch started buying he literally bought up everything available - so bred
mine for a year or so and then started buying what he brought into the Cape
-  I have never seen a Jacob with white legs, pink noses, no freckling and
piebald faces until Luther and I bought the 20 ewes from Mazie Hescock -
they had STRONG coloring, definite black and white separation and NO
FRECKLING -  I have no idea of what causes it but for sure it has to be in
the genes!!!!  When you buy 20 ewes and there is none there - but as they
got real old you could see a "graying" after shearing but that is not
freckling.  Someone should contact Bill Jones - he has the complete Hescock
and Leseau flocks that I had and see what his coloration is like now.  That
would be interesting.

Edd Bissell
New Market, Tn.
www.eddbissell.com