[Jacob-list] Freckling, etc.

Heather Hettick hettick.1 at osu.edu
Wed Apr 10 16:12:04 EDT 2002

I have a fair number of freckled sheep in my flock and have not yet started
selecting specifically against freckling, although I was considering
choosing my ewe lambs to keep this year somewhat based on how freckled they
are.  To me, several other considerations like horns and wool type still
come first, and I've never culled for freckling alone.  Now, I think maybe
some of them have skin mottling instead, but I'm not sure.  Some of these
might be to sun exposure too, but how do you really know for sure?

Of my more freckled sheep, those with colored wool coming from their
freckles, both have lots of leg spots.  I have sheep with no leg spotting
who have skin-only freckles( or is this mottling?)  I also have sheep with
skin-only freckles who have leg spots.  I don't have any sheep with no skin
freckles at all, except maybe lambs.

I don't show at this point and prefer a somewhat darker sheep.  I have two
smutty colored ewes who I keep for their other characteristics - strong
horns, good mothers, nice textured wool and unique (to my flock) pedigrees.
I am hoping to keep daughters from them that don't have as much freckling as
they, but I still don't want to part with them for at least another season.

I have used freckled rams.  My first ram, when I didn't know freckling was
something to be avoided, was very freckled and very dark.  The 3 subsequent
rams I've used all had a little bit of freckling or mottling or sun
freckles.  I'm not actually sure about the ram I'm buying for 2002.  I chose
him for his horns, unique pedigree and lilac color.  I asked his current
owner about whether he has freckles.  He hasn't been shorn yet so we don't
know, but I still plan on buying him.

Heather Hettick
Moonstruck Jacob Sheep
Creston, OH