[Jacob-list] DEF:Freckling, Ticking, Mottling

Robin Lynde rlynde at onramp113.org
Mon Apr 8 01:37:42 EDT 2002

  >>There is confusion among these terms and by using the terms adopted by color geneticists I guess I added to the confusion, i.e., ticking and freckling

  Freckles describe small melanocytes with pigmented fiber present at birth, not to be confused with the larger Jacob piebald pattern
  Ticking looks like  an onslaught of freckles but is the appearance, over time, of melanocytes that were not present in the birth coat.  The ticking shows about the size of a dull pencil point..>

  If freckles are present at birth and ticking is only the size of a pencil point, what are the small spots about the size of a pencil eraser that show up in successive shearings? Is this also ticking? I've called it freckles.
  Robin Lynde