[Jacob-list] Fleeces

Mary Spahr spahrfarm at dragonbbs.com
Thu Apr 4 15:14:14 EST 2002

It is interesting to hear about all the types of fleeces our lambs are born with.  According to Ingrid Painter's book:  Jacob Sheep in America, there are 5 types of fleece.
"Type A is born with tiny, tight curls which grows out evenly all over the body.  There is little britch wool, and generally no kemp.
Type B is the quilted fleece which has a mixture of Type A and a coarser, straighter fiber in the black areas, or the reverse can happen with the coarser, longer fibers in the white areas.
Type C is the freckled fleece (not really a different fleece type) which has small areas of black or grey fibers throughout the white areas."
I would like to add some comments of my own about freckling.  I do not believe that a Jacob sheep should be culled for having some freckling.  Only if the freckling is excessive or to the extent that it makes the white areas look grey would I cull the sheep.  I feel that a little freckling is part and parcel of the breed and should not be discriminated against.
"Type D, spongy fleece appears wiry due to lots of kemp and coarser wool.  The lamb seems to shed the kemp from most areas.  Adult fleeces tend to be longer than Type A.  The fleece is denser and usually weighs more (not a typical Jacob fleece).
Type E is the wiry fleece, an exaggerated Type D.  It is usually excessively kempy."
It seems as though there is still some confusion about the "down-type" fleece.  The down-type fleece is not crimpy, but has a soft handle and is springy.
Mary Spahr