[Jacob-list] Herding dogs

Black, Tiar and Jason theblacks at interisland.net
Tue Oct 30 22:33:40 EST 2001

It is funny that this came up - I was just talking to someone today about our border collie / collie cross who I use to move our Jacobs. We do not have many sheep but they do prove to be a bit more aggressive then the larger meat breeds that we have. It may just be my opinion but I think that any good working dog needs to be able to "read" his / her flock, herd or whatever she is working. Taya (our dog ) certainly has a different approach with the herd when they have lambs and has learned to work around the  guard llama as well. If she can move the sheep the llama is usually right behind trying to defend so she ends up moving the llama to. In the spring with the lambs Taya is much more patient / cautious but she always manages to get things done by moving the lambs and watching the ewes follow. You are right about not betting the farm on a $50 pup - even if it is a "herding breed" after all look at all of the thouroughbred horses out there that aren't on the race track - same idea. We really did luck out with her but I wasn't really looking for a herding dog - just a family dog and she is the best of both and beautiful to boot. Her father was a blue merle collie - gorgeous! and her mother was a tri colored border collie.taya herself is as blue merle with a bordercollie build and a collie coat. I bought her just west of Omaha Nebraska while I was there for my sisters wedding. I paid $25 for her but I wouldn't sell her for the world. We haven't done any trials with her but with some more professional training I think we could do it.  Ok I think I have 'boasted' enough. I just wanted to let you know that you are right - with hte right dog it can be done well.
Tiar Black
ZLazyJ Farm
Friday Harbor Wa