[Jacob-list] Herding Dogs

Kristi Murdock prairillon at prodigy.net
Tue Oct 30 21:51:09 EST 2001

Hi!  I'm a lurker on the list, still only thinking about getting some
Jacobs.  But I've been involved with border collies for 20 years, so maybe I
can contribute a little on this topic.

First, I have a question, though... is anyone using dogs successfully to
work their Jacobs?  Not as guardians, like a Great Pyrenees or Akbash Dog,
but to herd.  I'd read that Jacobs, like other primitive breeds, are prone
to split rather than bunch under stress.  I just wondered if they *could* be
herded.  I've worked with Katahdins, though, and they are pretty
independent-minded, so maybe it is just a question of getting the sheep used
to obeying the dog rather than being terrified by it.

Regarding training herding dogs... it cannot be done unless you start with a
dog who has correct basic instincts.  Thus, you need to start with a dog who
is out of working parents, from a breeder or trainer who guarantees the dog
will work.  All of the things you consider when breeding and buying a Jacob
are valid here -- check the pedigree for working ability and question the
history of genetically-transmitted disorders.   Just like the cull lambs in
the classified section MIGHT turn out to be a dispersal of a heretofore
unknown Jacob flock, the $50 puppy MIGHT turn out to be a world-class
natural herding dog.   I wouldn't bet the farm on it, though!

The next most helpful thing you can do is to buy a trained or started dog.
However, if you are unwilling to spend the extra bucks for a started dog,
plan on lessons once your puppy is old enough to work (usually at least 6
mo. of age).  Hopefully, the breeder will teach you and will also help you
find local clinics -- a chance to take your dog and be assisted by the "Big
Hats."  Then you go home from the clinic and practice and read books and
watch videos and get to the next "what now" and then go to another clinic.
Maybe I'm extra slow, but I have a library full of books and videos on
herding training, and I never would have gotten anywhere without hands-on
instruction.

This has been my experience -- actual mileage may vary <g>.  I'd
particularly love to hear from folks who use herding dogs with their Jacobs,
and see how their experience has been different.  I'd be glad to expound on
any of what I said, too, if it would help.

Kristi Murdock
Wild Ridge Farm
Toddville, Iowa