[Jacob-list] Sheepskin treatment

Linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Tue Oct 30 15:24:37 EST 2001

In my copy of Home Tanning & Leather Simplified, it has a chapter on tanning
for fur which includes sheepskins.  There are a number of recipes and it does
say you can begin with a green, dried or frozen skin, so you have some time!
The ingredients for the processes are:
1. Basic Alum-Salt calls for Alum & Salt (DUH!)
2. Alum-Salt-Soda - the same plus washing soda
3. Basic Acid-Salt recipe calls for salt and sulphuric acid aka battery acid.
If you need the directions, let me know.  I've used the Alum-Salt on rabbit
skins and it came out well.

Linda
Visit our flock of Jacob Sheep
www.patchworkfibers.comwww.patchworkfibers.com