[Jacob-list] breeding lambs

J Thomas shepherdofspots at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 30 10:19:54 EST 2001

Missed out on last week's breeding discussion -- older
daughter moved from NC to CT. She's safely arrived,
but freezing!

Anyway, I leave all my ewes in together. Small acreage
does not allow me to separate into younger and older
ewe breeding groups. If they conceive in their first
year, they lamb (and I watch them carefully). If they
do not and do not conceive their SECOND year, then
they are sold for pets, fleece, etc.

Since our breeding season started in September this
year (during a cold spell), I anticipate lambs January
- March. Last year's lambs were born in February. A
bit cold and rainy, but I moved them into a horse
stall (divided into lambing jugs) for a couple of
days. They also have a pallet and tarp shelter in
their main pasture.  For this year, I am also making
some lamb coats (sewn like mini horse or dog blankets)
just in case I need to keep little ones warm.

This is so interesting hearing about how different
parts of the country schedule their breeding season so
lambs don't arrive in nasty winter weather.

Joy

=====
Joy Thomas, Son-Rise Farm
Home of Jacob Sheep