[Jacob-list] lamb processing prices

Linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Fri Oct 26 19:12:40 EDT 2001

I believe that our butcher is the only one in the area that charges by the
pound.  There is a flat kill fee of $20 and then cut and wrap fee is .35/lb,
based on carcass weight.  Others in the area charge a flat fee of $40.  So,
we'd need to have a carcass weight of 57 lb to make the flat fee worthwhile .
Our young freezer stock is not that heavy, so we're pleased with this butcher.
We often just have the lamb killed and hung and do the cut and wrap at home.  I
can usually cut and wrap in about 20 minutes.  It's probably more economically
practical to have the butcher do the cut and wrap, but it took me awhile to
learn to do a decent job so I try to keep in practice.

Linda

Visit our flock of Jacob Sheep
www.patchworkfibers.comwww.patchworkfibers.com