[Jacob-list] Voluntary Scrapie Program

J Thomas shepherdofspots at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 16 22:07:05 EDT 2001

It's interesting to hear that your State's procedures
are different.

Here in NC, I called the "scrapie vet". She came out
and inspected my flock (all from scrapie free stock
and already tagged), my records & flock book and then
assigned me a flock number.

I must now order my ear tags for lambs born here on my
farm. My tags will have my assigned flock number and
an identifying number.

We took two of our sheep to a 4H show in September. We
requested pen space away from all other sheep to not
have any nose-to-nose contact (for OPP as well as
scrapie exposure). Our vet said it's primarily
transmitted during lambing; however, I should not
allow my sheep to have nose-to-nose contact w/others
when off my farm. I had to let her know after the show
if nose-to-nose contact had occurred.

This is a great list! We all learn so much through
sharing!

Joy T.
Son-Rise Farm
Creedmoor NC