[Jacob-list] Voluntary Scrapie Program

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Mon Oct 15 16:52:58 EDT 2001

The North Texas, State Veterinarian came through to enroll our flock in the
Voluntary Scrapie Program (VSP).  I was left with the understanding that the
critical sheep are ewes, not rams.

The introduction of a sheep from a non-participating VSP flock sets the
schedule back to the beginning (the ewe apparently being the primary lateral
spreader) or if the sheep is from a participating VSP flock, the years in the
VSP is set to the "lower" of the lowest transfered in sheep or the lowest
sheep in the flock.

I was very surprised that the concern was "high" for ewes and "less" for
rams.  Has anyone else received a similar message that rates concern higher
for one sex than the other?

Fred Horak