[Jacob-list] grass vs. grain

dbennet954 at earthlink.net dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 21 10:16:09 EST 2001

This is our fourth year with Jacobs and each year we have tried feeding
a different way to observe the results. The first year, they had browse
(there was no actual pasture - they were clearing land for us of
blackberries, poison oak, lower limbs of fir trees, etc) and approx 1 lb
a day a piece of Nutrena 14% allbreed. We learned, too high a protein
content  causes their wool to be coarse.
The second year they had browse, supplemented with grass hay and
allbreed mixed with corn to cut the protein content. We got better
fleeces, but a couple of the ewes got too fat on the corn mixture and we
had to pull some big babies.
The third year we continued with the above, but cut the grain to 1/2 lb
a day per ewe and then increased it 1lb per day during lactation. We
were offered pasture space for six ewes during lactation and they came
home 10 weeks later, fatter on pasture only than the ewes we kept at
home.
This year, we have more grass pasture and feeding them 1/2 lb a day of
allbreed/corn mix, all the 2 to four year old ewes are fat and I am
getting ready to move them to a separate pasture to control their diet,
so I don't have to pull lambs. I plan to continue to grain supplement
the thinner, older ewes and pregnant ewe lambs.
Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre