[Jacob-list] Mineral blocks

Cathy Robinson perfectspot at blueridge.net
Wed Nov 21 08:15:10 EST 2001

> It is a mineral/protein block made specifically for
> sheep and goats.  I get them at Tractor Supply
> Company. They are 125 pounds and run about $27.

 I recently had an experience with the above mentioned blocks that caused
me to swiftly return them.  After a friend several hours east of me in NC
had sent me the product label (she had been using the product) and I had
ascertained that there was no copper in them, I sent my husband off to
the feed store to pick up two of the 125# tubs. He returned three hours
later with them, and while they were still in the back of his truck I
noted that the label was a "color" label and not the "black and white"
label that I had been sent.  I went and got my glasses and began perusing
the label, and it was identical in EVERY way, including product code,
except that the color label had copper clearly listed in the ingredient
list.  The black and white label that had been sent to me, had
"blanks/open spaces" in those spaces, as though someone had used
white-out at some point to create a new label.

The difference in the appearance of the label was of concern, as was the
disappearance of an ingredient on one that I do not wish to feed my
sheep!  I called the store and talked with the manager...he did some
research and got back to me on the following Monday. I didn't wait for
all the answers, so  needless to say, husband climbed back in his truck
to return blocks to the store, and after another 3 hour trip, he didn't
get much done that day that was on his agenda.

I first asked the store manager if all the blocks in his store had a
color label that showed copper in the ingredients....seems to me they
were a bright yellow and some other primary color....and he said
"yes".    I then went into comparisons of data and product code....and
asked why two versions of a label seemed to be floating around the
Tractor Supply network in NC and which one was correct.  He contacted his
supplier, who in turn contacted the manufacturer.....bottom line was that
the "color" label was correct and there was copper in the blocks. He said
TS did not sell a sheep/goat block that did not contain copper, and that
they only sold one for sheep and goats.  He could not explain why there
seemed to be two forms of the same label in the system but he certainly
thought it was strange.  He went on to say that TS would not sell this
product once supplies were exhausted....since it had been a poor seller.
My guess is the only place it was perhaps a good seller was in the area
that had the label that showed no added copper!  My recollection is that
the label on the blocks we brought home and returned showed copper at
around 40ppm----not something I would want to have available free choice.

If you do buy this product from Tractor Supply, check your label.  If it
sports a color label, copper will be clearly listed.  If the label is
black and white, look carefully at the empty spaces that look like info
is missing and then ask questions.

Cathy
Perfect Spot Farm