[Jacob-list] Michigan sheep producers

dbennet954 at earthlink.net dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 9 09:34:32 EST 2001

There are now two scrapie programs. The mandatory program goes into
effect on 11/20/01. All animals sold over 18 months of age, need to be
tagged with the farm of origin. Also, animals shown at fairs and sold
for breeding stock. The tags are provided. This is a tracking program
only (and rather redundant for Jacob breeders in my way of thinking,
since we know where our stock comes from).
If you are a part of the volunteer scrapie program, you purchase your
own tags, the vet comes out and inspects your herd once a year and in
five years you can be certified scrapie free. There is no inspection or
certification with the mandatory program.

Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre