[Jacob-list] False pregnancy

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Tue May 8 10:27:48 EDT 2001

In a message dated 5/3/01 7:46:17 PM Central Daylight Time, djspin at vtc.net
writes:

<< My experience with genetics this year has been interesting, but
 disappointing. I crossed my two jacob/cormo ewes (who look like jacobs)
 with a double registered white romney ram who carries the colored gene.
 He is pure white; his twin was pure black. I had hoped for a lamb with
 jacob spots in the mix. One of my ewes had a false pregnancy. >>

What is a false pregnancy?  Does this mean it was barren (not pregnant) but
had some physiological signs (enlarged belly or bagged up at some time in
sympathy with a pregant ewe) or was pregnant but had a reabsorption or
pre-term abortion for some reason?  Does the corpus luteum start some
physiological processes that do not stop?  I've heard the term used before
but honestly do not know what it really is.

Fred Horak