[Jacob-list] That sound the sheep make

Susan L. Nielsen snielsen at orednet.org
Thu Jun 28 12:46:55 EDT 2001

Dear Folks --

Last night I wrote what I thought was a magnificent ;-) little poem
about the Jacob sheep, and I read it aloud to Richard, who said, when he
had finished laughing, "Sheep don't low. Cows low." Hm. My dictionaries
don't commit themselves very firmly: they say something like "... the
sound of cattle..." or, "... of livestock..." or even, "to bellow."
Seems to me that cattle lowing is the commonest thing we think of,
but sheep are not excluded necessarily from bellowing. That sound is
like lowing. "Oh, low! I feel so low! Baa-low." Or even: "O! Lo! Here
cometh the human!"

So, I need some opinions: the sounds that sheep make, can they be
called "lowing?" I sure hope so, because otherwise there just
isn't much poem here:
			--
    Poem in Honor of a Small Flock of Rare Sheep

	In the morning or the evening
	When I go to feed them,
	I hear them calling to each other
	Or to me.