[Jacob-list] Gray areas.

dave & katrina oberlef at desupernet.net
Thu Jun 7 16:00:19 EDT 2001

Love the mental image of your workaholic ram, Joan W.  Quite the sight even in my imagination.

Here's a question I am sure has been discussed before on the list...early graying.  What it the average age for a sheep to gray?  Maybe that is a question for Mary Ellen.  I am sure most people would agree that gray by age one and two would fall into that category.  What about age 3?  or what about age 4 going from a dark brown to light gray at shearing time?  Any opinions or are these just gray areas...no pun intended.  I have a few sheep here I am watching for graying who are still coal black at age 2 while a few ewes I was not thinking about as possible early greyers have gray creeping in around their cape at the same age.  Do most people think of early graying as a change that happens fast rather than one that takes a few years?  Just a few thoughts....
Katrina Lefever, Chicory Lane