[Jacob-list] 'Useful' ram stories.

WenlochFrm at aol.com WenlochFrm at aol.com
Thu Jun 7 00:16:39 EDT 2001

Enjoyed your ram story, and have one of my own. This past winter we had a lot
of snow and then it rained leaving a heavy crust of ice on top. I decided to
scatter the flock's grain ration over a large area of the crusted snow to
keep everyone from fighting over it, and give them something to do digging
for it. I have a two-year-old 4H ram whose top horns are close together and
go straight up with only a slight curve. Later in the afternoon I looked out
the window and saw him with snow packed in between his top horns almost to
the top. He sort of looked like the Abominable Snowman, and I couldn't
imagine why or how he managed to do it. I had my answer when I went out to do
evening chores, and there he was, still shoveling snow with his top horns to
get at the last kernels that had fallen through the snow. He had cleared the
whole area of snow right down to the ground. It looked like a parking lot
that had been snow ploughed with the all the snow banked around the perimeter
as neatly as any driver could have done it.

Joan Franklin