[Jacob-list] My first worming ...

Gary Tomas Fay fayg at mebtel.net
Mon Jul 30 21:23:10 EDT 2001

All newbies please press the delete button now!

All the old timers, I thought you could use a chuckle ....

As I looked at my flock I realized one member was in need of a drench. I
prepared a feed top dressing and the two adult ewes ate their fill and I
could not get any to the lambs. I took the feed away when the adults
were properly dosed. I chased  the four of them into the smaller
"pasture" and closed the gate. I went back and grabbed 3 cattle panel
and 5 t posts and some electric wire for fastening the panel to the
posts. I did not start until 7:30 so it was already getting dark. I
position the first cattle panel grabbed the t post and proceeded to
drive it into the ground. The first part, through the yellow jacket
nest, went real easy! I had been stung 3 times before I realized what
was happening, and had some under my T-shirt! Needless to say it was in
tatters within a few moments. So here I am, its getting dark, the yellow
jackets are swarming around the gate between the two "pastures", my
shirt in tatters, and the one lamb who needed the medicine, undosed!

Luckily I was able to slip two panels and myself into the pasture with
the sheep. I fastened one with two posts and left the second one loose.
Then proceeded to drive the sheep into the makeshift "TLC Ward" as I
heard one breeder describe it. I reached into the pocket to get a wire
to secure the panel .... all gone! I slipped it behind a t post. The
little ram lamb was not going to have any of it... he charged every
panel and found the weak spot, popped it open and they all slipped out.
I reset the panels and drove them in again. They were a little more
cautious but hey, their brains are only a little bigger than mine! This
time I got some wire loose from one panel and used it to secure the
loose panel before I started.

I caught the ewe lamb and dosed her, and let her out. She fought me the
whole time.... but she took the medicine, spitting out a little. After
about 5 passes I caught the ram and put him on the ground. I don't know
why but he did not fight at all. At first I was worried I may have
broken something. He must have been thirsty as he drank the Ivomec
without any fuss. Heck, at that point it looked good to me too!

I let him up and he took off. Nothing seemed broken, and everyone seemed
to be doing well.

.... except for the yellow jackets ...

Gary Fay