[Jacob-list] hay feeders

Kathryn Shirley humbug7 at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jul 26 11:35:17 EDT 2001

I am afraid that I do something different.  I bought the sheep round
bale feeders from D&S Livestock supplies.  They were expensive, but I
have used them for four years now and they are still doing a great job.
The also work for the horses and cows, as well.  Basically, I drop a
round bale in the next spot in the pasture that needs humus and
fertilizer (I prefer the long term effects of natural fertilizer).  I
then put the round bale feeder around it (it has four easy to assemble
sides), cut off the strings on the bale and let the animals eat.  Some
gets wasted (10-20% depending on quality of hay).  This wastage gets
trampled, manured, and peed on.  Within 3 months I have composted
humus.  Even in a drought, I have distinctive green crop circles
everywhere a hay bale had been.  I have doubled the carrying capacity of
my land in two years!

Not to be disrespectful to D&S, but I plan to make the same design of
hay bale feeder out of PVC piping.  Lighter and cheaper than buying the
metal feeders.

Kate Shirley
Humbug Farm