[Jacob-list] Hay from Heaven

J Thomas shepherdofspots at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 26 11:03:37 EDT 2001

I live in NC, too. For my horses, I feed their hay on
the ground (but I use baled hay and like to keep track
of how much they eat).

For my sheep, I made a hay feeder out of two pallets,
some wood and some metal cloth. Basically, I put the
two pallets "side by side", approximately a hay bale
width apart. I secured the pallets with wood on the
ends, top and bottom. and put some additional wooden
slats on the ends to keep the sheep from pulling out
too many large chunks. Oh, I forgot to mention, I put
the wood in the pallets "up and down" and opposed to
"across." After I had made the shell, I put wooden
slats across the middle to make the hay's shelf. Over
this wood, I put the wire cloth (after I saw a smaller
sheep lying under the hay rack with head up eating
like Winnie the Pooh stuck in the honey tree) on the
"shelf" to keep sheep from pulling hay out the bottom.

THis gives me a pretty portable hay rack, I can move
it if I need to, can clean around it if I need to, and
my ladies don't seem to get too much in their fleece
as it isn't much higher than shoulder height.

Good luck!

=====
Joy Thomas, Son-Rise Farm
Home of Jacob Sheep