[Jacob-list] Comment on "American Jacob"

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Wed Jul 25 22:03:57 EDT 2001

Hi, George,

I believe I have read somewhere or another something about the American jacob, or the original jacob parksheep, which roamed around estates with very little input from owners as a landrace.  I think of those original imports, before the later importations of sheep which were larger and "improved" as er flock doesn't look a whole lot different from my flock, in terms of the numbers of yucky horns, etc.  She, it could be argued, is in attitude, allowing a "landrace" to perpetuate.  To the extent that we have breeders who are line breeding to gain more predictable traits, we have standardized breed groups, but I think that some of these are very small, $16 a pound for at the New Hampshire Wool festival.  I think that each of our flocks is on a continuum with each of these women at the two ends, and most of us somewhere in the middle.  To me, standardized implies, almost,, some line breeding to imprint predictable traits.  In the case of my flock, for example, that will never happen.  And I try to buy from flocks where line breeding has not happened.  So, what I lose in predictability, I seem to gain in variety.

I wonder, in this day and age, how many true landraces there are left in the world, except in very rural, isolated areas, which are few, so long as electricity is around the area.  Hence, all breeds, and to some extent, flocks, are on this aforementioned continuum between true landrace and true standardized breed.  It would seem that the old textbooks need to find new ways to talk about the divisions as technology leads us into the fifth generation and beyond.