[Jacob-list] Hay from Heaven

Linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Thu Jul 26 08:12:31 EDT 2001

I sure agree with Thom.  You will lose about half of your fleece if you feed have up high. For a good, quickie hay
feeder, I put a hog panel against the sheep fence and drop hay in the space, up to about 18 inches. I am about half way
through building a hay feeder from plans I found in a book.  It's abit hard to describe, but it looks like it will work
very well.  It's basically a hopper the size of a hay bale standing on end.  The hopper stands on legs about 9" above a
feed trough.  The sheep reach across the trough and pull out the hay at about knee to chest height.  What they drop
ends up in the trough and not on the ground or on their neighbor. It looks like it will be more efficient than the
grate box feeder and more accessible to lambs.

I'm not sure if you will have more of a parasite problem feeding on the ground - isn't that alot like grazing, which is
basically eating on the ground?  I'm abit south of you, Gary, in NE Georgia and we don't really have much of a parasite
problem.  The ground does freeze here in the winter and I think that helps alot.  The parasite problem is alot worse
south of here.

Linda