[Jacob-list] Comment on "American Jacob"

WenlochFrm at aol.com WenlochFrm at aol.com
Tue Jul 24 23:49:31 EDT 2001

In a message dated 7/24/01 9:38:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
glb123 at optonline.net writes:

> Wow pardners...before we get too far down the "landrace" path, please be
> reminded that a landrace is characterised by little or no human
> intervention in selection for breeding. That certainly doesn't describe the
> American Jacob. Americans are highly selective in breeding especially with
> respect to hornset in males. By definition if we breed to a standard it is

Famous quote: "It depends on what your definitition of is, is".

Not exactly. There is a difference between "standardized" and having a
"standard". A landrace is characterized by a larger than normal degree of
phenotypical variability within the population. By breeding to a standard,
the population gradually becomes more phenotypically homozygous unless care
is taken to keep the standard broad in scope. In my opinion, the Jacob is on
the cusp of becoming a standardized breed.

Joan Franklin