[Jacob-list] Hatch line

Edd Bissell bissell at usit.net
Wed Jul 18 21:15:11 EDT 2001

At 06:33 PM 7/17/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Hey Edd,
>
>Do you know of any sheep that were called Wolf's ram and Wolf's Grey Ghost
>that Hardy might have used?  Also do you know Hardy Daniel and Hardy Big
>Mona?
>
>Thanks, Marcia
>==============

Boy are you taxing my memories - and most of them from sales, farms,
purchases on Jacob sheep in the old days are fond ones.  The Wolf/wolf grey
does not spark anything. BUT HARYD HILL DANIEL sure does.  A guy named
Bertram[n] bought Daniels father at the Hale Brothers sale in the early
1980s - I remember him because it is the first time I met Luther Hardy - he
had bought some ewes that I had taken out to the sale.  He and I of course
talked Jacobs and we were walking around the sale pens.  There was the most
magnificent Jacbo I had ever seen in my life - he was in a pen by himself
and had a blue halter on.  His owner was selling him because he was so
mean. He was a Hatch ram - he had absolutely the biggest horns I had ever
seen.  I think he sold in the 400-600 dollar price range.  I made up my
mind right then that this was the breed for me.  Bertram took this ram back
to whereever he lived up in the mid west - maybe Michigan - bred him over
his ewes - and then a guy named Paul VanderWounde [spelling???????] bought
Daniel from him.  Luther bought Daniel from Paul and then a guy named Russ
from Michigan [I think was his name - he used to come to the sales - wore
overhalls and had a real sweet wife ] bought Daniel -  Daniel was light,
nice horns and a very Hatch look. You people out there have to remember
that 20 years ago nice Jacob rams - and I mean NICE ones - were so rare
that you absolutely remember every one of them.  Mona does not ring a bell
either.

Now back to Ramses - it was Vader that was dark and had huge horns.  I
think Luther bought Ramses at the Cape in those early years - or maybe the
Lolli sale - he was a VERY Hatch looking ram - and he sold him to Marilyn
Throckosky [another of those Yankee names that I absolutely have no idea of
how to spell - why can't you people up there go by Bubba, Partner, or some
other good old boy names that I can remember]  - nice horns but not a Vader
or Daniels father in size.  I think Luther used Daniel quiet a bit -

Edd Bissell
New Market, Tn.
www.eddbissell.com